was: fvwm - where's pager?? -- SOLVED

Pau vim.unix at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 1 05:05:09 PDT 2010

2010/4/1 Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>:

> On Apr 1, 2010, at 06:04, Pau wrote:
>
>> I have set
>>
>> SupressIcons
>>
>> in my fvwmrc file.
>>
>> Still, it would be good to have the, say, default fvwm icons and place
>> them somewhere (/opt/local/lib?)
>
> lib is for libraries. Platform-independent data like icons goes in /opt/local/share somewhere.
>
>> and set up the path correspondingly to that.
>>
>> I believe that you can download the default icons from here:
>>
>> ftp://ftp.fvwm.org/pub/fvwm/version-1/fvwm-1.24r.tar.gz
>
> Ok, that's the distfile we already download for this port.
>

>> There's a directory there containing a fvwm_icons folder.
>>
>> Thanks for fixing this.
>>
>> Btw I am fixing some more things in the default fvwmrc file provided
>> by macports. I can send you it when I am done.
>
> Ok.
>

>> I have the feeling that I might be the only fvwm1.24r user on
>> macports, but you never know ;)
>
> Well, the developers of the software do state on their download page that version 1 should not be used anymore. I was considering if we should just delete the port to drive this point home. Why do you prefer version 1 over version 2?

no, please, don't do that

1.24 is simple and very functional. It does not have bells and
whistles and fancy stuff as 2 has. And that's a plus point for people
like me.
fvwm 1.24 is very easy to configure and very fast and has been used
for many years by many users; the result is that it is bug-free and
very, very robust. It does what it is told to do.
The developers don't say it should not be used. They say it is not
supported, but it does not need to be supported, as I just explained.
It is also the default wm of OpenBSD and that should tell you that
there are good reasons for that.

After this small glitch with fvwmrc I do not think that you will ever
have to touch the port.

The whole fvwm is 320K (and the big number comes from the icons).

Be merciful!