gimp2 +no_x11 needing +quartz

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Apr 16 06:39:28 PDT 2010

On Apr 14, 2010, at 00:25, Michael_google gmail_Gersten wrote:

>> gimp2 @2.6.8_0+darwin_9+no_x11+quartz (active)
>
> That "+quartz" actually came as a surprise. I tried
>
> sudo port -f install  gimp2 +no_x11

You probably don't want to be in the habit of using "-f".

> And it got as far as
>
> Applying patches to gtk2
> --->  Configuring gtk2
> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: cairo must be built
> with the +quartz variant enabled.
>
> Kleiman-ibook:~ michael$ port installed cairo
> The following ports are currently installed:
>  cairo @1.8.10_0+macosx+no_x11 (active)
>
> So why does gimp2, +no_x11, not force the +quartz flag to its
> dependencies? Are end users supposed to track what dependencies
> require what additional dependencies?

If cairo was not already installed, I believe it should have been installed with the +quartz variant, because you were installing gtk2 with the +quartz variant. But if you already had cairo installed without the +quartz variant, the only thing the gtk2 port can do is detect this and tell you to fix it. A port cannot cause a dependency to be installed with a particular variant. That's ticket #126. Though dependencies that haven't yet been built will inherit the variants requested on the command line.