gv and ghostscript

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Apr 28 14:17:04 PDT 2010

On Apr 28, 2010, at 13:15, John B Brown wrote:
> On 4/28/10 10:30 AM, Rainer Müller wrote:
>> On 27.04.2010 22:08, John B Brown wrote:
>>>     gcc only looks in /usr/local/include if you did not configure it
>>> with --prefix=/usr after editing the prefix entry in the configure file
>>> to reflect that as the install tree.
>>
>> MacPorts uses Apple supplied compilers from Xcode. Therefore we cannot
>> influence the configure flags at all.
>
> 	Does that mean my env does not control the macport compiles?

That's correct. MacPorts goes to great lengths to clear the environment before running, so that the environment is consistent.

> I set 'export CC=`which gcc`' in my .bash_profile.

MacPorts will clear it before running.

> I've set my path so that /usr/local/bin comes before /opt/local/bin and my library load paths to look at /usr/local/lib first.

This will most probably cause problems. Please unset these library load paths. (DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, etc.)

> 	That means my CC is set for gcc in /usr/local/bin which is gcc-4.5.0 which bootstrapped and installed cleanly. Doesn't macports look to /usr/local/lib first for libs as it compiles and runs?

No -- not deliberately. MacPorts uses Apple's GCC compiler in /usr/bin/gcc-4.2 (on Snow Leopard, anyway) to compile (most) ports. (Individual ports can specify otherwise if needed.) But as we mentioned earlier, Apple's GCC compiler automatically looks in /usr/local and will find and use libraries and headers located there. We don't want this behavior but don't know how to stop it. Therefore we can only ask that users remove everything in /usr/local before using MacPorts in order to prevent problems.