necessary info

Michael Funk mwfunk at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 17:03:20 PDT 2010

On Apr 28, 2010, at 4:07 PM, John B Brown wrote:

> 	As you can plainly see, trying to start X11 using the X11.app utility results in exactly the same versioning error; startx has nothing to do with that error.

Gotcha, I misunderstood.  I thought the error might come from something other than the X server that startx was trying to launch.

> 	As I said before, its an Apple built-in error; Apple compiled and installed the library. This is the result of the regular update which drops new binary sets down the wire as they are produced and Apple releases them. In this case it was an Xcode update; I certainly never compiled that mis-versioned library.
>
> 	So, X11 wont run now because of that version error.
>
> 	Any suggestions?

I'm not sure, something is screwy.  If the ImageIO framework was really truly busted on your system, a lot more than X11.app would be hosed- anything else that used that framework (like AppKit) would be busted too.  Something's weird in the execution environment that's causing this to happen.  From Terminal, type 'set' and look for any environment variables that start with DYLD_.  None of these are set by default, but if you have any defined they might be interfering with which instances of which libraries are getting loaded up and from where.

I'm assuming you're using X11.app from your OS X install DVD and not something else.  Also, if you haven't already, run Software Update to make sure you've got the latest bits for everything.

  Mike