uninstall help please

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Fri Apr 30 15:04:04 PDT 2010

On Apr 30, 2010, at 11:23 AM, Adam Mercer wrote:

> Looks like you used the wrong installer for your platform. Make sure
> you download the correct installer.

Why is this possible? Is Apple's packagemaker tool used for creating the MacPorts installer?  My very limited experience in using it, I seem to recall you can set a target for what systems will or will not accept the installer.  Would this not be a good change to make to the installer, making it impossible to install the wrong version on the wrong system?

Is it possible to make just one installer, an installer that is smart enough to know which bits to use depending on the platform you are trying to install on?  It has always been a bit of a pain to locate the downloads page, figure out which one to install etc.  A very minor bit of a pain, but one that I am pretty sure could be solved.  This would bump up file size and download times, which may be the issue right there, if there is some limitation in bandwidth and how much it costs the project.

Is there any interest in this?  Should I perhaps open a ticket?