uninstall help please

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Apr 30 15:16:01 PDT 2010

On Apr 30, 2010, at 17:04, Scott Haneda wrote:

> On Apr 30, 2010, at 11:23 AM, Adam Mercer wrote:
>
>> Looks like you used the wrong installer for your platform. Make sure
>> you download the correct installer.
>
> Why is this possible?

As of MacPorts 1.7.1, it's not:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/13141

Still, something got corrupted with the user's pextlib and perhaps other parts, so reinstalling MacPorts base is still the best suggestion.

> Is it possible to make just one installer, an installer that is smart enough to know which bits to use depending on the platform you are trying to install on?  It has always been a bit of a pain to locate the downloads page, figure out which one to install etc.  A very minor bit of a pain, but one that I am pretty sure could be solved.

The disk images we distribute are created by MacPorts itself using "sudo port dmg MacPorts"; you can read the rest of the release process here:

http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/base/portmgr/ReleaseProcess

We would like to be able to directly distribute what MacPorts has produced and not have to fiddle with it afterward. Personally, I have always wanted for MacPorts to build itself using the lowest-supported Mac OS X SDK (so that would currently be MacOSX10.4u.sdk); the resulting MacPorts should theoretically run on all our supported OSes. I have not tested this though, and if you wanted to see if that actually worked, that would probably be worthwhile. I had problems using the 10.4u SDK from 10.6 when 10.6 first came out; I may have been doing something wrong or this may have been early problems with Xcode 3.0 or it may still be broken. But even if we have to run the packaging script on a 10.4 or 10.5 machine that wouldn't be a problem; we already have to run the packaging script on several different machines, one for each dmg we currently produce.

> This would bump up file size and download times, which may be the issue right there, if there is some limitation in bandwidth and how much it costs the project.

I don't think Mac OS Forge is imposing any transfer limits, and MacPorts is small enough that even tripling the download size wouldn't matter.