trac.macports.org/ticket/25815

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Aug 2 19:23:41 PDT 2010

On Aug 2, 2010, at 21:16, Jeff Singleton wrote:

> Agreed .. It is this error from the config.err file:
>
>       gcc-4.0: -E, -S, -save-temps and -M options are not allowed
> with multiple -arch flags
>
> I hit this with wxWidgets-devel when trying to build universal...my
> guess there are some dependencies that need to be rebuilt with
> universal. I'm back tracking all of the rdeps for wxWidgets-devel to
> make sure the ones that can are built universal....I did this with
> libvpx as well....took a minute...but in the end, libvpx is compiled
> in installed.  I'm hoping the same ends for wxWidgets-devel.
>
> One thing I am learning .... If you want to build it, you should
> research all rdeps of the rdeps for the Port you want to build...If
> you need universal, then make sure everything down the line prior to
> the main build was built with the correct variants.
>
> No lopsided archs supported :/

Sure, which is why we have the archcheck portgroup, and more than that, why MacPorts 1.9 includes these checks for all ports (in a slightly different way). Basically MacPorts should no longer permit you to attempt to install something universal when its dependencies aren't universal.

I thought the problem here was that libvpx is attempting to install itself universal on Leopard systems, even though the user has not requested the +universal variant (thereby not performing any of the checks MacPorts usually performs).