can't read "compiler.cpath": no such variable (was: Re: openssl upgrade fails messily)

Scott Webster sewebster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 08:57:43 PDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 8:17 AM, Alexy Khrabrov <deliverable at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK.  What I found I had installed was a lot of old ports superseded by
> an active latest version.  I can grep active myports.txt >
> myports-active.txt, is it OK to feed *that* to the reinstall_ports
> script, or is it smart enough to do it by itself?  In fact, the best
> outcome for me is to install the actually latest version of each port,
> not the version recorded in myports-active.txt.

I don't recall how the script actually works, but with the new
"requested/unrequested" functionality in 1.9 it would be best to only
specifically install the ports that you _actually want_.  Then the
system will mark those as "requested" automatically.  The required
dependencies will be pulled in, but left as "unrequested."  This means
that as things change, macports will automatically know when you can
remove packages that are no longer necessary.  I'm not entirely sure
if using the script would mess this up.

In any event, if you know what you want then installing it yourself is
fine, and probably even better IMHO.

Scott