can't read "compiler.cpath": no such variable (was: Re: openssl upgrade fails messily)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Aug 11 17:37:08 PDT 2010

On Aug 11, 2010, at 10:17, Alexy Khrabrov wrote:

> (Perhaps a link from "reinstall MacPorts" to the latest
> release would be better noticeable! :)

Ok, I made this change.

>> The script helps you install a set of ports that you had installed before, as recorded by the command "port installed > myports.txt". If you don't have anything in /opt/local then you don't have any ports installed so "port installed" would produce nothing (or, if /opt/local is completely empty or absent and does not even contain the base MacPorts software, an error message) so there would be nothing for the reinstallation script to reinstall.
>
> OK.  What I found I had installed was a lot of old ports superseded by
> an active latest version.  I can grep active myports.txt >
> myports-active.txt, is it OK to feed *that* to the reinstall_ports
> script, or is it smart enough to do it by itself?  In fact, the best
> outcome for me is to install the actually latest version of each port,
> not the version recorded in myports-active.txt.

Actually, MacPorts does not have the capability to install specific versions of a port; it can only install the latest version. I'm not sure what the script does in this case. It sounds reasonable to me that you should be able to grep only the active ports from your list and feed that to the script, but I have not read the script nor used it so you'll just have to try it.