Force Macports to use XQuartz as X11 dependency

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Mon Aug 30 12:52:01 PDT 2010

On Aug 30, 2010, at 12:27 PM, Jeff Singleton wrote:

> So there is no way to avoid building the truckload of X dependencies
> needed for a single application...followed by cleaning up all of those
> dependencies because I only needed them to build one thing.

Yes, create your own Portfile or modify the MacPorts provided one.

> To me .. that just doesn't sound like consistent support for older
> machines ... it sounds lazy.

So the MacPorts volunteers are lazy. I see. Not to be mean but maybe
you could do something about it.

> Why should people with faster machines have to continually suffer lost
> time in building dependencies that are only needed temporarily or
> could be provided by the XQuartz package?  I can understand building
> dependencies that are not included in the XQuartz package, but
> building all of them just because its more compatible with older
> hardware that I will never use...
>
> Just doesn't make sense to me ... If I had a dual quad-core 32gig Mac
> Pro, I probably wouldn't care.

There are tradeoffs. Supporting the use of XQuartz would add to the
overall support burden. You can always modify the Portfile to your
liking.

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#ownlibs

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#whynotxyz

// Brad