Qt4 Poll

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Tue Aug 31 05:40:27 PDT 2010

If you knowingly use / develop using Qt4, please reply to me your usage
preference, probably off list is best to keep traffic down:

1) I -require- Qt4 to be installed as a framework.

2) I -prefer- Qt4 to be installed as a framework.

3) I do not care at all how Qt4 is installed so long as it works.

4) I -prefer- Qt4 to be installed as separate libraries, headers, and
related files.

5) I -require- Qt4 to be installed as separate libraries, headers, and
related files.

Reason I'm asking is that I've come upon an issue that's easiest to
resolve by forcing Qt4 to be installed a just libraries; doing so also
helps resolve a few other anticipate future issues.  So, I'm thinking of
setting Qt4 ports to install as no_framework only, with no option for
framework.  That said, if anyone truly requires a framework install then
I'll reconsider and/or maybe we can work out some compromise.

To the best of my understanding, a framework is just a (1)
reorganization of libraries, headers, and related files; (2) renaming of
libraries to match the framework's name; and (3) extra soft links here
and there for the "current" framework version (so, allowing multiple
versions to be installed at the same time, within the same top-level
directory structure).

As Qt4 provides PKGCONFIG scripts (and will provide CMAKE scripts, in
the next set of updates) to determine CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, and other
properties, I don't see this as being an issue at all.  But, I wanted to
put the question out there to see what others say; I certainly don't
know everything :)

Thanks in advance for your feedback. - MLD