How do I force a tarball download?

W.P. McNeill billmcn at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 15:54:37 PST 2010

I've painted myself in a corner with my Macports installation and need some
help getting out.  I've tried the usual Googling and man page reading, but
remain stumped.

The other day I tried to instal git-core.  It has a dependency on p5-error,
which ports tried to download and install.  However, I was sitting in a
coffeeshop when I did this and got a checksum error because the tarball
contained a webpage served up by the coffeeshop's proxy.  When I got home, I
tried to install p5-error again, but I kept getting the same error.  Then I
did a "port clean --dist p5-error", thinking that would clear out the bad
tarball and let me download a new one.   The port clean command did clear
out the bad tarball, but when I try to run "port install p5-error" I get an
error message because the tarball is missing.  Specifically,

> sudo port install p5-error
Password:
--->  Computing dependencies for p5-error
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for p5-error
Error: Target org.macports.checksum returned: Error-0.17016.tar.gz does not
exist in /opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/perl5
Log for p5-error is at:
/opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_perl_p5-error/main.log

Here's the tail of the main.log file:

:debug:main Executing org.macports.main (p5-error)
:debug:main Skipping completed org.macports.fetch (p5-error)
:msg:main --->  Verifying checksum(s) for p5-error
:debug:checksum checksum phase started at Sun Dec 12 15:46:02 PST 2010
:debug:checksum Executing org.macports.checksum (p5-error)
:info:checksum --->  Checksumming Error-0.17016.tar.gz
:error:checksum Target org.macports.checksum returned: Error-0.17016.tar.gz
does not exist in /opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/perl5
:debug:checksum Backtrace: Error-0.17016.tar.gz does not exist in
/opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/perl5
    while executing
"$procedure $targetname"
:info:checksum Warning: the following items did not execute (for p5-error):
org.macports.activate org.macports.checksum org.macports.extract
org.macports.patch org.macports.configure org.macports.build
org.macports.destroot org.macports.install
:notice:checksum Log for p5-error is at:
/opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_perl_p5-error/main.log

As far as I can tell, this is just telling me that the tarball isn't there.
 I'm prevented from installing anything that depends on this port.

What I want to do is tell Macports "go ahead and download all the tarballs
you need again" but I can't figure out how to do this.  I've tried various
combinations of "port install" and "port fetch", but nothing gets me past
this spot.

How do I get this working short of blowing away my Macports installation and
starting from scratch?

Thanks.