infinite line of dots when installing gnome-desktop-suite + verbose

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Dec 27 11:37:10 PST 2010

On Dec 27, 2010, at 11:28, Witold TRINQUIER wrote:

> After launching port -v install gnome-desktop-suite, the console shows: ---> Computing dependencies for gnome-desktop-suite............................................... (line keep increasing)
>
> An infinite line of dots is created. So, my question is : is this normal or is this step freezing? If it's normal, why macport didn't show everything, because I used to verbose all my commands, and with somme apps, like apt-get, you can see the dependencies, calls, and everything.

The line of periods will not be infinite, though it may be long and take awhile, especially if you don't have any ports (or at least, not many of the dependencies of gnome-desktop-suite) installed yet. Right now MacPorts is computing dependencies of gnome-desktop-suite. Once it's done, it will begin displaying much more information about the process of building them.