gcc42 hangs

Raphael Attie attie at mps.mpg.de
Mon Feb 1 06:43:57 PST 2010

Le 1 févr. 10 à 15:35, Ryan Schmidt a écrit :

>>> It will take over an hour to build on a modern fast Intel Mac, and
>>> much longer on older slower Macs. How long have you let it go? You
>>> can use the debug switch to see what's happening:
>>>
>>> sudo port -d install gcc43
>>
>> I see. I let it for about ~1 hour. I'll just run it again and will
>> be more patient.
>> I am unfamiliar with building gcc. How come it is that slow ?
>
> It's quite a large piece of software.
>
>> Will macport automatically change the symbolic links in /usr/bin ?
>> or will it keep things internal to the macport tree (it's what i'd
>> intuitively expect) ?
>
> MacPorts will not change anything in /usr/bin and you should not
> either.
>
> If you want "gcc" to be the MacPorts gcc43, then you should install
> the gcc_select port and use the gcc_select program to select the
> gcc43 version.

Does this solution is valid even if I want to test a third-party
software that calls gcc ? For instance, Matlab is completely
independent from Macports. Will the gcc_select program work only for
"macported" softwares ?

For instance, to make Matlab use the version of gcc 4.2 instead of 4.0
(i have both), i simply change the symbolic links in /usr/bin so that
i can swap from gcc-4.0 to gcc-4.2. I can then restore the original
links whenever a software needs the original gcc. This was quite handy
for me. Is gcc_select really a cleaner solution than this ?