gnome, anyone?

George Thiruvathukal thiruvathukal at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 09:31:18 PST 2010

Hi,

It's a bit tricky to search the archives for previous postings, so apologies
if I am contributing to the noise (as in signal:noise).

So I'm trying to get Gnome up and running and am running into problems with
the gdm build. The weird thing is that the errors being generated by the
compiler are suspect, because the type definition is actually present (and
lists the members reported as being missing). Is it possible that the Xcode
tools need an update? I am showing "gcc version 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build
5646) (dot 1)" when I do "gcc -v".

Here is an excerpt of the output:

$ sudo port install gnome
--->  Computing dependencies for gnome
--->  Fetching gdm
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for gdm
--->  Extracting gdm
--->  Applying patches to gdm
--->  Configuring gdm
--->  Building gdm
Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd
"/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_gnome_gdm/work/gdm-2.26.1"
&& /usr/bin/make -j2 all " returned error 2
Command output: gdm-session-worker.c: In function
'gdm_session_worker_constructor':
gdm-session-worker.c:2589: error: 'GdmSessionWorkerPrivate' has no member
named 'server_address'
gdm-session-worker.c:2592: error: 'GdmSessionWorkerPrivate' has no member
named 'connection'
gdm-session-worker.c:2592: error: 'GdmSessionWorkerPrivate' has no member
named 'server_address'
gdm-session-worker.c:2593: error: 'GdmSessionWorkerPrivate' has no member
named 'connection'

I'm actually willing to do some work to try and fix the problem but am not
so well versed in how MacPorts does its thing. I'm assuming it is using the
Apple compiler by default but don't know for sure.

Before I dive into this, however, is there anyone who has run into this
problem and can offer any insight?

Thanks,
George

--