gnome, anyone?

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed Feb 3 10:11:18 PST 2010

On 2010-2-4 04:31 , George Thiruvathukal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's a bit tricky to search the archives for previous postings, so
> apologies if I am contributing to the noise (as in signal:noise).
>
> So I'm trying to get Gnome up and running and am running into problems
> with the gdm build. The weird thing is that the errors being generated
> by the compiler are suspect, because the type definition is actually
> present (and lists the members reported as being missing). Is it
> possible that the Xcode tools need an update? I am showing "gcc version
> 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5646) (dot 1)" when I do "gcc -v".

I take it you're on Snow Leopard then? MacPorts defaults to using
/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 there. Xcode 3.2 or later should be fine, though the
latest is recommended.

> Here is an excerpt of the output:
>
> $ sudo port install gnome
> --->  Computing dependencies for gnome
> --->  Fetching gdm
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for gdm
> --->  Extracting gdm
> --->  Applying patches to gdm
> --->  Configuring gdm
> --->  Building gdm
> Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd
> "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_gnome_gdm/work/gdm-2.26.1"
> && /usr/bin/make -j2 all " returned error 2
> Command output: gdm-session-worker.c: In function
> 'gdm_session_worker_constructor':
> gdm-session-worker.c:2589: error: 'GdmSessionWorkerPrivate' has no
> member named 'server_address'
> gdm-session-worker.c:2592: error: 'GdmSessionWorkerPrivate' has no
> member named 'connection'
> gdm-session-worker.c:2592: error: 'GdmSessionWorkerPrivate' has no
> member named 'server_address'
> gdm-session-worker.c:2593: error: 'GdmSessionWorkerPrivate' has no
> member named 'connection'
>
> I'm actually willing to do some work to try and fix the problem but am
> not so well versed in how MacPorts does its thing. I'm assuming it is
> using the Apple compiler by default but don't know for sure.
>
> Before I dive into this, however, is there anyone who has run into this
> problem and can offer any insight?

Searching Trac <http://trac.macports.org/search?portsummarysearch=on>
turns up this ticket:
<http://trac.macports.org/ticket/21684>
which still needs someone to attach full debug output, i.e. from
"sudo port -d install gdm > gdm.log 2>&1".

- Josh