ProFTPD | Add group and user FTP

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Sun Feb 7 10:53:04 PST 2010

On Feb 7, 2010, at 5:58 AM, Jasper Frumau wrote:

> I just added ProFTPD and I am adjusting the ProFTPD configuration
> file. I need to add ftp user and group. I went to system preferences
> > accounts and added group ftp. When I wanted to add user ftp it
> said the name was already reserved. I decided to abort and remove
> newly created group fpt.. So I guess a user ftp is already there.
> How can I check this from the command line? I am reading man
> dseditgroup as groupadd/useradd does not seem to be a valid command
> on my Mac. Haven't found a way to list all groups on the system yet
> though...

In Terminal.app do:
$ dscl . list /Users
$ dscl . list /Groups

Does the proftpd port not add system a user and group to run as?

If not and they are required I think this should be added to the
portfile.

Also, you can probably just add _ftp for a user which is the osx
naming convention for non-login users.

Take a look at all the names beginning with underscores from the
output of the commands I listed.

// Brad