ProFTPD | Add group and user FTP

Glenn English ghe at slsware.com
Sun Feb 7 13:02:38 PST 2010

On Feb 7, 2010, at 10:59 AM, Jasper Frumau wrote:

> When I try to connect to ProFTPD locally I get:
>
> $ ftp jasper at localhost
> Trying ::1...
> ftp: Can't connect to `::1': Connection refused
> Trying fe80::1%lo0...
> ftp: Can't connect to `fe80::1%lo0': Connection refused
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> 220 ProFTPD 1.3.2c Server (ProFTPD Default Installation) [127.0.0.1]
> 331 Password required for jasper
> Password:
> 530 Login incorrect.
> ftp: Login failed
> ftp> exit
> 221 Goodbye.
>
> I used my standard account password so maybe that is not the one to use. Which one is it then?

I just built and installed proFTPd with Porticus, then went to configure it with Webmin. As soon as I told Webmin where the executable and the config files were (/opt/local/sbin and /o/l/etc), it showed a button to start proFTPd. I did, tried to log in from another host (Linux) on the LAN, and you're right. It doesn't work:

> ghe at lanserver:~$ ftp asw
> Connected to air.slsware.wif.
> 220 ProFTPD 1.3.2c Server (ProFTPD Default Installation) [192.168.3.160]
> Name (asw:root): ghe
> 331 Password required for ghe
> Password:
> 530 Login incorrect.
> Login failed.
> Remote system type is UNIX.
> Using binary mode to transfer files.
> ftp> bye
> 221 Goodbye.

So I downloaded pureFTPd from:

http://www.versiontracker.com/php/dlpage.php?id=45509&db=mac&pid=45509&kind=&lnk=http%3A%2F%2Fjeanmatthieu.free.fr%2Fpureftpd%2Fpkg%2FPureFTPd-Manager-1.8.dmg

It's also an FTP server of some repute. I had to 'touch' a log file for it, but after that, it was happy (Snow Leopard) and did a login:

> ghe at lanserver:~$ ftp asw
> Connected to air.slsware.wif.
> 220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------
> 220-Local time is now 13:39. Server port: 21.
> 220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
> 220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.
> 220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.
> Name (asw:root): ghe
> 331 User ghe OK. Password required
> Password:
> 230-User ghe has group access to:  com.appl ghe      wheel    everyone localacc
> 230- _appserv admin    _appserv _lpadmin _lpopera _develop staff
> 230 OK. Current directory is /Users/ghe
> Remote system type is UNIX.
> Using binary mode to transfer files.

And the 2 or 3 FTP commands I tried worked.

It's almost certainly possible to get proFTPD going, but this one is a lot less trouble, and it's got a good reputation.

ProFTPD's log file says it can't bind to port 21. I suspect something's bent in the port because it can, and it does. It just can't seem to verify a password.

PureFTPd comes with a GUI manager/initial configger, too.

Nice, but mildly frustrating way to spend a snowy Sunday morning. Good luck...

--
Glenn English
ghe at slsware.com