ProFTPD | Add group and user FTP

Jasper Frumau jasperfrumau at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 09:59:03 PST 2010

When I try to connect to ProFTPD locally I get:

$ ftp jasper at localhost
Trying ::1...
ftp: Can't connect to `::1': Connection refused
Trying fe80::1%lo0...
ftp: Can't connect to `fe80::1%lo0': Connection refused
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
220 ProFTPD 1.3.2c Server (ProFTPD Default Installation) [127.0.0.1]
331 Password required for jasper
Password:
530 Login incorrect.
ftp: Login failed
ftp> exit
221 Goodbye.

I used my standard account password so maybe that is not the one to use.
Which one is it then?

The I Googled some more and:

$ cd /etc/
Jaspers-MacBook-Pro:etc jasper$ ls | grep ftp
ftpd.conf
ftpusers
Jaspers-MacBook-Pro:etc jasper$ cat ftpusers
# list of users disallowed any ftp access.
# read by ftpd(8).
Administrator
administrator
root
uucp
daemon
unknown
www

I am not in this list so not disallowed access. And I am in th ftp group:

$ dseditgroup ftp
dsAttrTypeStandard:GeneratedUID -
        7BD526DC-7116-445E-969C-9D7B78B31BE8
dsAttrTypeStandard:RecordName -
        ftp
dsAttrTypeStandard:AppleMetaNodeLocation -
        /Local/Default
dsAttrTypeStandard:RealName -
        ftp
dsAttrTypeStandard:RecordType -
        dsRecTypeStandard:Groups
dsAttrTypeStandard:GroupMembers -
        408B96E2-6AEE-44B8-B39E-F9870C5A9E09
dsAttrTypeStandard:Password -
        *
dsAttrTypeStandard:GroupMembership -
        jasper
dsAttrTypeStandard:PrimaryGroupID -
        503

I checked ftpd.conf:

$ sudo cat /etc/ftpd.conf
# match umask from Mac OS X Server ftpd
umask all 022

Nothing special there....

So what password do I need and where is it stored?