Apache2 php error logging

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sun Feb 7 16:41:43 PST 2010

On Feb 7, 2010, at 6:05 AM, Jasper Frumau <jasperfrumau at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for all these tips!!! I am overwhelmed! I will check
> Interarchy as well on eor two others . As a client I use Filezilla,
> For an FTP server, which I was actually looking for I am going to
> give ProFTPD a try. I will check if Interarchy can do that was well..

I'm a big fan of pureFTPd, it is easy to configure, all set via one
command at startup, so no config file. (you can use one if you want,
it's converted to a one line startup command)

It is used in some massively large installations, and has active
development. The developer, from what I can gather, builds and tests
for OS X, which is a huge plus.

The Portfile, which I've been maintaining, is up to date and installs
as far as I know, correctly to MacPorts approved locations.

PureFTPd is also localized to many languages.

If you are inclined to skip MacPorts, there is a full GUI based, OS X
native installer and manager called pureFTPd manager.  I think an
Apple Design Award app.  It may be a few small versions out of date,
but makes admin a snap.

The manager must be run on the server, which is a small inconvenience,
though if you use MySql for the backend, which I believe you can do in
the manager, then the one thing you do most, managing users, can be
done remotely.

I really like the MacPorts version, and using MySql with it once
configured, creates a trivial server to add/manage your users in. It
is also fast at auth and transfers. Muchbfaster than OS X's built in
FTP for sure.

The last I saw on the users mailing list was a call for which FTP apps
worked or did not work with pureFTPd. I don't think there were any
that were not resolved.

Pure and Pro are both solid, I've found Pure to be easier, and implied
by their user base to be capable of handling larger ISP type installs,
with docs catering to ISP setup.

Some reading for you to help you make the decision based on your needs:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=120868

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-server-73/pure-ftp-vs-pro-ftp-626947/

A lot of comments on vsftpd for security and it's ability to chroot
users without plugins. I've never seen a plugin for Pure, and chroot
is there, easily enabled, and highly customizable per user, server
wide, virtual hosted, or static hosted with either system users,
database backed users, or internal Pam based users

Good luck.
--
Scott
(Sent from a mobile device)