How to remove inactive ports?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Feb 8 00:02:45 PST 2010

On Feb 7, 2010, at 18:49, Scott Haneda wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2010, at 9:51 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> You may also be interested in the port_cutleaves command (which can be installed by installing the port_cutleaves port) which will guide you through removing ports you no longer need, including inactive ports and any others that are not referenced as a dependency by any other port.
>
> Port port_cutleaves is referenced significantly on MacPorts. It appears solid and dies what it needs to do. I've never used it before.
>
> Willit allow the removal of master ports not in use, plus whatever dependency cruft that may lurking around?

Not sure what you mean by "master ports", but its purpose is, as I said, to help you identify and uninstall ports you no longer need. Read the README and give it a try.

http://trac.macports.org/browser/contrib/port_cutleaves/README

> If so, this is valuable, how come it is not built into MacPorts? Or perhaps that is in fact a longer term goal?

cutleaves should be integrated into MacPorts base when it is "good enough". I already think it works fine, except that it has a memory leak somewhere. (tclsh memory usage goes up by several hundred K for each port uninstalled, until it quits at the end.)

rdeps should be integrated, too, when good enough. It at least says so in the script itself. ("Once "good enough", integrate into port"). rdeps is very slow; I have a feeling it could stand some improvement there.

http://trac.macports.org/browser/contrib/port-rdeps/port-rdeps