Issue in selfupdating macport on Snow Leopard

Shashwat Anand anand.shashwat at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 16:53:45 PST 2010

I installed MacPorts-1.8.2 both from source and dmg. I also tried
reinstalling rsync. Still I can't do a selfupdate.
Here is the trace:

Shashwat-Anands-MacBook-Pro:~ l0nwlf$ port
Warning: No index(es) found! Have you synced your source indexes?
MacPorts 1.8.2
Entering interactive mode... ("help" for help, "quit" to quit)
[Users/l0nwlf] > quit
Goodbye
Shashwat-Anands-MacBook-Pro:~ l0nwlf$ sudo port -v selfupdate
Warning: No index(es) found! Have you synced your source indexes?
--->  Updating the ports tree
Synchronizing local ports tree from rsync://
rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
rsync: failed to connect to rsync.macports.org: Operation timed out (60)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at
/SourceCache/rsync/rsync-37.3/rsync/clientserver.c(105) [receiver=2.6.9]
Error: Synchronization of the local ports tree failed doing rsync
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: port selfupdate failed: Couldn't sync the ports
tree: Synchronization of 1 source(s) failed
Shashwat-Anands-MacBook-Pro:~ l0nwlf$