Issue in selfupdating macport on Snow Leopard

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Feb 13 15:49:49 PST 2010

>> On Feb 12, 2010, at 4:53 PM, Shashwat Anand wrote:
>>
>> > I installed MacPorts-1.8.2 both from source and dmg. I also tried reinstalling rsync. Still I can't do a selfupdate.
>> > Here is the trace:
>> >
>> > Shashwat-Anands-MacBook-Pro:~ l0nwlf$ port
>> > Warning: No index(es) found! Have you synced your source indexes?
>> > MacPorts 1.8.2
>> > Entering interactive mode... ("help" for help, "quit" to quit)
>> > [Users/l0nwlf] > quit
>> > Goodbye
>> > Shashwat-Anands-MacBook-Pro:~ l0nwlf$ sudo port -v selfupdate
>> > Warning: No index(es) found! Have you synced your source indexes?
>> > --->  Updating the ports tree
>> > Synchronizing local ports tree from rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
>> > rsync: failed to connect to rsync.macports.org: Operation timed out (60)
>> > rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-37.3/rsync/clientserver.c(105) [receiver=2.6.9]
>> > Error: Synchronization of the local ports tree failed doing rsync
>> > Error: /opt/local/bin/port: port selfupdate failed: Couldn't sync the ports tree: Synchronization of 1 source(s) failed
>> > Shashwat-Anands-MacBook-Pro:~ l0nwlf$

It sounds like you don't have any portfiles. These are fetched via rsync, both by manually running "sudo port selfupdate" and simply by running the MacPorts dmg installer (which itself runs "sudo port selfupdate" as its final step). But it sounds like you were unable to connect to the rsync server. Some networks have trouble with that. If yours is such a network, you may have to use one of the alternate ways of getting the portfiles. Some options are described here:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/SyncingWithSVN

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/PortTreeTarball

> On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 10:19 AM, Scott Haneda wrote:
>

>> Wild guess while you are waiting on other replies...
>> Have you ran `portindex`, you just run this as a single command, not prefixed wit port at all.
>>
>> I can not find a man page on portindex, but you have this error:
>>    Warning: No index(es) found! Have you synced your source indexes?
>>
>> Reading the source of portindex at /opt/local/bin/portindex
>>    # Traverse through all ports, creating an index and archiving port directories
>>    # if requested
>>    # $Id: portindex.tcl 54378 2009-07-25 21:31:51Z jmr at macports.org $
>>
>> That sounds a little related to me.

Doesn't sound related to me. Users do not need to manually run the portindex command. The most common reason for the PortIndex file to not exist is if none of the portfiles exist either, for example because an rsync connection was not possible, as explained above.

On Feb 12, 2010, at 22:57, Shashwat Anand wrote:

> I tried this:
>
> Shashwat-Anands-MacBook-Pro:bin l0nwlf$ sudo portindex
> Creating software index in /opt/local/bin
>
> Total number of ports parsed:    0
> Ports successfully parsed:    0
> Ports failed:            0

You would need to be in the portfiles directory before you run portindex. But, as I said, running portindex is not something users are expected to need to do.

> Shashwat-Anands-MacBook-Pro:bin l0nwlf$ pwd
> /opt/local/bin
> Shashwat-Anands-MacBook-Pro:bin l0nwlf$ portindex
> -bash: /opt/local/bin/portindex: Permission denied
> Shashwat-Anands-MacBook-Pro:bin l0nwlf$ sudo portindex
> sudo: portindex: command not found
>
> It ran just once though.

I'm not clear why you were unable to run portindex under sudo here, since you were earlier. Perhaps something is strange with the way you've set up your PATH.

> Now I tried installing a port:
>
> Shashwat-Anands-MacBook-Pro:bin l0nwlf$ sudo port install py26-bpython
> --->  Computing dependencies for py26-bpython
> --->  Fetching bzip2

Ok, so between your initial report and now, you appear to have successfully obtained the portfiles and the PortIndex. Perhaps you had a temporary inability to connect to the rsync server which has now resolved itself.

> --->  Attempting to fetch bzip2-1.0.5.tar.gz from http://www.bzip.org/1.0.5
> --->  Attempting to fetch bzip2-1.0.5.tar.gz from http://distfiles.macports.org/bzip2
> --->  Attempting to fetch bzip2-1.0.5.tar.gz from http://arn.se.distfiles.macports.org/bzip2
> --->  Attempting to fetch bzip2-1.0.5.tar.gz from http://aarnet.au.distfiles.macports.org/pub/macports/mpdistfiles/bzip2
> --->  Attempting to fetch bzip2-1.0.5.tar.gz from http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/distfiles/bzip2
> --->  Attempting to fetch bzip2-1.0.5.tar.gz from http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/distfiles/general/
> Error: Target org.macports.fetch returned: fetch failed
> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: py26-parsing python26 bzip2 db46 gdbm gettext expat libiconv gperf ncurses ncursesw openssl zlib readline sqlite3 tk Xft2 fontconfig freetype pkgconfig xrender xorg-libX11 xorg-bigreqsproto xorg-inputproto xorg-kbproto xorg-libXau xorg-xproto xorg-libXdmcp xorg-util-macros xorg-xcmiscproto xorg-xextproto xorg-xf86bigfontproto xorg-xtrans xorg-renderproto tcl xorg-libXScrnSaver xorg-libXext xorg-scrnsaverproto py26-pygments py26-setuptools
> Before reporting a bug, first run the command again with the -d flag to get complete output.

Now you appear to be having a difficulty connecting to http servers. Is there a proxy server on your network? Do you perhaps need to configure proxy settings in macports.conf?

> odd that all the dependencies are installed (not via port though)

By design, MacPorts does not use software you may have installed elsewhere. For more information please read:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#ownlibs