Error installing p5-net-libidn

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Mon Feb 15 02:05:52 PST 2010

>> Maybe it was a combo of those that messed something up?  Just a random thought, as I am confused, this seems a lot deeper than that, as it is a compile time flag correct?  That is part of core/base, and no port should be altering it?
>
> Actually, the default compiler architecture (x86_64 on Snow Leopard and up, i386 on Leopard and below) is hardcoded into the gcc compiler provided by Xcode. That is the architecture it will use, unless you specify -arch flags to tell it otherwise.
>
> Are any of your other ports installed universal?

I try to when possible, here is my installed list:
http://pastie.org/825297

Of those, 38 appear to be universal:
      apache2 @2.2.14_0+darwin+preforkmpm+universal (active)
      apr @1.3.9_1+universal (active)
      apr-util @1.3.9_1+universal (active)
      automake @1.11.1_0+universal (active)
      bzip2 @1.0.5_3+darwin+universal (active)
      cclient @2007e_0+universal (active)
      curl @7.19.7_1+ssl+universal (active)
      db46 @4.6.21_6+universal (active)
      expat @2.0.1_0+universal (active)
      gawk @3.1.7_0+universal (active)
      gettext @0.17_4+universal (active)
      glib2 @2.22.4_0+darwin+universal (active)
      gperf @3.0.4_0+universal (active)
      gsed @4.2.1_0+universal (active)
      help2man @1.37.1_1+universal (active)
      irssi @0.8.14_1+universal (active)
      libiconv @1.13_0+universal
      libiconv @1.13.1_0+universal (active)
      libmcrypt @2.5.8_1+universal (active)
      libtool @2.2.6b_0+universal (active)
      libxml2 @2.7.6_0+universal (active)
      m4 @1.4.13_0+universal (active)
      memtester @4.1.2_0+universal (active)
      mhash @0.9.9.9_0+universal (active)
      ncurses @5.7_0+darwin_10+universal (active)
      ncursesw @5.7_0+darwin_10+universal (active)
      openssl @0.9.8l_0+darwin+universal (active)
      pcre @7.9_0+universal (active)
      perl5.8 @5.8.9_3+universal (active)
      php5 @5.3.1_1+apache2+darwin_10+macosx+universal (active)
      php5-curl @5.3.1_2+universal (active)
      php5-imap @5.3.1_2+macosx+universal (active)
      php5-mcrypt @5.3.1_2+universal (active)
      php5-mysql @5.3.1_2+mysqlnd+universal (active)
      pkgconfig @0.23_1+universal (active)
      readline @6.1.000_1+darwin+universal (active)
      sqlite3 @3.6.22_0+universal (active)
      zlib @1.2.3_4+universal (active)

> If so, perhaps they contain arch flags that are messing things up. For each port foo that you have installed universal, you can check whether this is so:
>
> port contents foo | sed 1d | xargs grep -- ' -arch '

I ran into a small problem with that command, in that grep ran into a few binary files, or so it thought.  I do not know what the -- in grep does, I could not find it in the man page.  I did add --text to process binary files as text, coming up with this:

    port contents $PORTNAME | sed 1d | xargs grep --text -- ' -arch '

I little find and replace, and I had a small script:

#!/bin/bash

PORTS="apache2 apr apr-util autoconf autoconf213 automake bzip2 cclient curl curl-ca-bundle db46 expat gawk gettext glib2 gperf gsed help2man irssi libiconv libiconv libidn libmcrypt libtool libxml2 m4 memtester mhash mtr mysql5 mysql5-server ncurses ncursesw openssl p5-compress-raw-bzip2 p5-compress-raw-zlib p5-digest-md5 p5-digest-sha1 p5-email-address p5-email-messageid p5-email-mime p5-email-mime-contenttype p5-email-mime-encodings p5-email-mime-modifier p5-email-send p5-email-simple p5-email-valid p5-extutils-cbuilder p5-extutils-parsexs p5-file-readbackwards p5-io p5-io-compress p5-io-socket-inet6 p5-locale-gettext p5-mailtools p5-mime-types p5-module-build p5-module-pluggable p5-pod-escapes p5-pod-simple p5-return-value p5-socket6 p5-test-pod p5-test-simple p5-yaml pcre perl5 perl5.8 php5 php5-curl php5-imap php5-mcrypt php5-mysql pkgconfig readline sqlite3 zlib";

for PORTNAME in $PORTS
do
	echo "------------ START $PORTNAME -------------------------------";
	port contents $PORTNAME  | sed 1d | xargs grep --text -- ' -arch '
	echo "";
done

> If any file of any port contains arch flags, it could indicate a problem. For example, I have just filed a bug report for this problem in apr:
>
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/23702

I too have apr installed.

> If you find any other ports like this, please file tickets as well.

Maybe you can help me refine the grep command, or better understand what it is I am looking for.  If apr is a base for the problem, and I am grepping for ' -arch ', then it would appear there are a lot of ports with this issue:

    http://pastie.org/825301

I am happy to file the tickets, but I need to understand how to narrow it down to the ones that matter.