Regexp problems building git, graphviz on Snow Leopard

David Schroeder david at davidschroeder.net
Mon Feb 15 20:46:18 PST 2010

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>wrote:

> On Feb 15, 2010, at 09:23, David Schroeder wrote:
>
> > I have a fairly new Snow Leopard computer, running the most recent
> updates and with a 64-bit processor.
> >
> > When trying to install graphviz, and the new git packages, I get linker
> errors about undefined symbols such as _regcompA, _regerrorA, and _regexecA.
>  These correspond to the regex.h functions which *should* be implemented in
> the standard C headers.  The errors are at the end of this message.
> >
> > I've seen several pastebins containing outputs from MacPorts with these
> sorts of errors, but I've not been able to find a solution.  I haven't done
> anything stupid (to the best of my knowledge) to mess up this computer, so
> I'd appreciate any help.
>
> I don't recall seeing this problem before. These ports build fine for me on
> Snow Leopard. Please clean the affected port, try again with the debug
> switch, and file a ticket in the issue tracker.

I reported this against graphviz, but no feedback has happened.  As for
git-core, http://trac.macports.org/ticket/21208 was posted 5 months ago, and
nobody seems to know what the problem is.

This mac is all of two weeks old, so I'm loath to reinstall the operating
system.  I completely uninstalled and reinstalled MacPorts, and am getting
these exact same errors.

Any help or advice?