Fwd: "sudo port upgrade outdated" fills HDD

Sam Kuper sam.kuper at uclmail.net
Wed Feb 17 07:55:54 PST 2010

On 17 February 2010 15:33, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2010, at 10:23 AM, Sam Kuper wrote:
> > On 17 February 2010 14:59, Sam Kuper wrote:
> > The latter command has got as far as "---> Building boost" but seems now
> to be stuck there and is now simply eating hard drive space. I had 3.03GB
> free hard disk space when I ran the command, and now, 20 minutes later, have
> only 1.09GB free and this is decreasing by 0.01GB every few seconds.
> >
> > I should clarify that for the majority of the 20 minutes mentioned
> (approx. 19 minutes), the command was stuck at "---> Building boost". After
> around 40 minutes, with a bit over 0.7GB of HDD space remaining, the command
> printed the line "--->  Staging boost into destroot" to the Terminal. HDD
> space is, however, continuing to decrease at about the same rate.
>
> Check /var/vm and see if you're just running out of RAM and generating
> large amounts of swap.

Thanks Daniel,

I had to use Ctrl+C to stop "sudo port upgrade outdated" from running, as it
reached the point where the Finder was saying "Zero KB free". Then I ran
"sudo port clean boost" to get some of my HDD back! It immediately went up
to 2.33GB free.

Now, I've just had a look in /var/vm . It contains a dozen swapfiles of
67108864 bytes each, plus a sleepimage file of 2147483648 bytes. I've no
idea whether this is normal or not, though: I've never looked in that
directory before.

Also, I don't see a way to tell whether the swapfiles are from running the
"sudo port upgrade outdated" command except perhaps by looking at the
timestamps. The latter do correspond to times when "sudo port upgrade
outdated" was running.

I have 2GB RAM installed and the only other thing running was Firefox 3.6
(and, while I was seeking help on IRC, Colloquy).

Any ideas about how I should proceed?

Thanks again,

Sam