Fwd: "sudo port upgrade outdated" fills HDD

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Wed Feb 17 09:34:27 PST 2010

Sam> Now, I've just had a look in /var/vm . It contains a dozen swapfiles of
Sam> 67108864 bytes each, plus a sleepimage file of 2147483648 bytes. I've no
Sam> idea whether this is normal or not, though: I've never looked in that
Sam> directory before.

The problem with OSX's "add swap files as necessary" strategy is that
it seems like it never clears them back out, unless the moon is full
on a Tuesday, or something.

I've now taken to watching the swap size on my laptop (using iStatMenus), and
if it ever gets above 2GB total, I just reboot, because at that point,
everything is gonna be gummy, and that seems to be the only way to clear it.