bash_profile causing problems

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed Feb 17 13:59:58 PST 2010

On Feb 17, 2010, at 9:32 AM, Jurgen Sidgman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does any one know why the following lines in my .bash_profile would impair the functioning of ports?
>
> export CLICOLOR=1
> export LSCOLORS=ExFxCxDxBxegedabagacad
>
> I just created the bash_profile to give some coloring to my shell. I used only the lines above. Immediately my macports installation failed with no command found. None of my ports worked anymore. I move the bash_profile to my desktop and immediately ports began working again. By the way, the man pages stopped working too. I try fixing this using unset MANPATH but this solution did not work either.
>
> What is that my bash_profile should say to have ports working with the lines above?

There is a pretty large thread about this, which you should read.  I would search the archives for "profile" and "bashrc" and see what you come up with. I can not remember all the details, but color does some things to change the way some shell activities interpret the returned data.

My solution was this:
# -- Color output --
export CLICOLOR=1
export LSCOLORS=dxfxcxdxbxegedabagacad
# Do not want to export CLICOLOR_FORCE, so just do it this once
function l () { command env CLICOLOR_FORCE=X ls -la "$@" | grep -v .DS_Store; }

Are you sure you do not have a CLICOLOR_FORCE in your bash_profile somewhere?