"sudo port upgrade outdated" fills HDD

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Feb 17 14:41:12 PST 2010

On Feb 17, 2010, at 09:55, Sam Kuper wrote:

> Now, I've just had a look in /var/vm . It contains a dozen swapfiles of 67108864 bytes each, plus a sleepimage file of 2147483648 bytes. I've no idea whether this is normal or not, though: I've never looked in that directory before.

Sounds pretty normal to me. 67108864 bytes is 64MB; a dozen of them is 768MB. As long as the amount of swap space is not larger than the amount of physical RAM installed in your computer, you should be fine. Once your swap exceeds physical RAM, things start getting slow.

The sleepimage is always present and always the exact size of your physical RAM.