"sudo port upgrade outdated" fills HDD

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Wed Feb 17 14:54:14 PST 2010

On Feb 17, 2010, at 5:41 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> Sounds pretty normal to me. 67108864 bytes is 64MB; a dozen of them is 768MB.

Except that they won't all be 64MB, the first two will be, the next will be 128MB the next 256MB, then 512MB then the rest will be 1.0GB (at least, I haven't seen more than 1.0GB files created)

> As long as the amount of swap space is not larger than the amount of physical RAM installed in your computer, you should be fine. Once your swap exceeds physical RAM, things start getting slow.

While that might be an ok guideline, it's really just when your working set exceeds the amount of physical RAM available that matters.

--
Daniel J. Luke