"sudo port upgrade outdated" fills HDD

Sam Kuper sam.kuper at uclmail.net
Wed Feb 17 15:40:54 PST 2010

On 17 February 2010 22:54, Daniel J. Luke <dluke at geeklair.net> wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2010, at 5:41 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> > Sounds pretty normal to me. 67108864 bytes is 64MB; a dozen of them is
> 768MB.
>
> Except that they won't all be 64MB, the first two will be, the next will be
> 128MB the next 256MB, then 512MB then the rest will be 1.0GB (at least, I
> haven't seen more than 1.0GB files created)

Hm. When I run "ls -la /var/vm" I get:

total 5636096
drwxr-xr-x  14 root  wheel         476 17 Feb 20:12 .
drwxr-xr-x  25 root  wheel         850 22 Dec  2007 ..
-rw------T   1 root  wheel  2147483648 17 Feb 22:54 sleepimage
-rw------T   1 root  wheel    67108864 17 Feb 04:31 swapfile0
-rw------T   1 root  wheel    67108864 17 Feb 14:40 swapfile1
-rw------T   1 root  wheel    67108864 17 Feb 19:19 swapfile10
-rw------T   1 root  wheel    67108864 17 Feb 14:40 swapfile2
-rw------T   1 root  wheel    67108864 17 Feb 15:25 swapfile3
-rw------T   1 root  wheel    67108864 17 Feb 15:25 swapfile4
-rw------T   1 root  wheel    67108864 17 Feb 15:25 swapfile5
-rw------T   1 root  wheel    67108864 17 Feb 15:27 swapfile6
-rw------T   1 root  wheel    67108864 17 Feb 15:28 swapfile7
-rw------T   1 root  wheel    67108864 17 Feb 15:28 swapfile8
-rw------T   1 root  wheel    67108864 17 Feb 19:19 swapfile9

Should I be worried that these swapfiles don't match the pattern you've
described?

> > As long as the amount of swap space is not larger than the amount of
> physical RAM installed in your computer, you should be fine. Once your swap
> exceeds physical RAM, things start getting slow.
>
> While that might be an ok guideline, it's really just when your working set
> exceeds the amount of physical RAM available that matters.

That terminology is unfamiliar to me. By "working set" do you mean the
largest of the memory requirements of the programs currently being run? Oh,
wait, got it... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_set

Thanks,

Sam