boost-lib install problem

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Feb 18 01:30:52 PST 2010

On Feb 18, 2010, at 02:59, Johannes Behr wrote:

>>> I just try to install the boost lib on my fresh 32-bit macports installation
>>> and it always fails:
>>
>> You're not seeing the first error. Use the debug switch to see all output.
>>
>> sudo port -d install boos
>
> OK, I attached the output to this email. I still don't get it.

The output you attached says:

ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib/libbz2.dylib, file is not of required architecture
ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib/libz.dylib, file is not of required architecture

So the bzip2 and zlib ports are not installed for the same architecture as that for which you are now trying to build boost.

I'm guessing bzip2 and zlib are built for i386, since you set build_arch to i386 in macports.conf and I know they support changing build_arch because I've tested them myself, but that boost does not support changing build_arch and is therefore still trying to build for x86_64. A quick glance in the portfile shows that it doesn't use the standard configure phase (which is how ports automatically acquire support for changing build_arch) and searching the portfile for "arch" doesn't show any code that would cause the port to respect build_arch. So this should be filed as a bug in the boost port.