PHP 5.3 and 5.2

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Thu Jan 14 17:26:44 PST 2010

On Jan 14, 2010, at 5:06 PM, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

>> I would be more inclined to set MacPorts to use two separate prefix's and toggle between those, or, perhaps use Apple's php for the 5.3, and MacPorts for the 5.2.x.
>
> Are you talking about toggling between the two on the fly via apache2 directives? Like have one site use php 5.2 and another 5.3?
> If so I have no experience and I'm happy that I don't but you can probably try including the php5.x extension in an apache2 virtualhost.

I did not put a lot of thought into it, luckily I have never had to seriously fiddle with it.  I would probably have one goal, get two copies of Apache running on different ports, one would server old php, and one would serve new php.

I think you could then take either of those Apaches, and run that on port 80 as a proxy to the other two different ports, and it would be near transparent.  Your logs would look a little funny, but there are ways to solve that as well.

Like I said, it is something I would try to avoid, as it just sounds messy and impossible to debug.

One other option would be to virtualize one of them in a VM.

Hmpf, actually, if you can get away with it as a fastcgi, then it is almost trivial to get working: http://cuadradevelopment.com/blog/26/multiple-php-versions-with-apache-using-fastcgi-on-os-x/