PHP 5.3 and 5.2

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Thu Jan 14 17:06:26 PST 2010

On Jan 14, 2010, at 4:58 PM, Scott Haneda wrote:

> On Jan 14, 2010, at 10:03 AM, Craig Hoffman wrote:
>
>> Quick question:  is it possible to install both PHP 5.3 and 5.2.x
>> and toggle between the two?  Currently, our web server is running
>> 5.2.x and our development server is running 5.3.  What's the best
>> way to go about this?
>
> Yes, but you would have to locate the old php 5.2.x installer from
> MacPorts, and install that from a local port setup.  Doing something
> like this is not the simplest thing to do, and is prone to error.

If you already have 5.2 installed you should be able to just
deactivate 5.2 and activate 5.3 and bounce apache2. But if like me you
have pear classes, pecl extensions, and possibly other classes and
extensions installed expect problems. Not that it can't be worked out.

> I would be more inclined to set MacPorts to use two separate
> prefix's and toggle between those, or, perhaps use Apple's php for
> the 5.3, and MacPorts for the 5.2.x.

Are you talking about toggling between the two on the fly via apache2
directives? Like have one site use php 5.2 and another 5.3?
If so I have no experience and I'm happy that I don't but you can
probably try including the php5.x extension in an apache2 virtualhost.

// Brad