php mcrypt uiversal

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jan 16 15:01:43 PST 2010

On Jan 16, 2010, at 16:58, Scott Haneda wrote:

> I have updated the two libs to php5-mcrypt:
>    depends_lib-append      port:libmcrypt \
>                            port:libtool
>
> Here is the active universal
>    $port installed libmcrypt
>    The following ports are currently installed:
>      libmcrypt @2.5.8_1
>      libmcrypt @2.5.8_1+universal (active)
>
>    $port installed libtool
>    The following ports are currently installed:
>      libtool @2.2.6b_0
>      libtool @2.2.6b_0+universal (active)
>
> Now I try to built out php5-mcrypt +universal…
> $sudo port -d install mcrypt +universal 2>&1 | tee ~/Desktop/php5-mcrypt.txt
>
> View the tee'd output here:
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/340087/Drops/01.16.10/php5-mcrypt-9a51fd88-145003.txt
>
> The main error I think I am hitting is:
>    configure: error: "You need at least libmhash 0.8.15 to compile this program.
>    http://mhash.sf.net/"
>
> If that is the case, shouldn't that be listed as a dependency in php5-mcypypt?

mhash is a dependency of php5 which is a dependency of php5-mcrypt via the php5extension portgroup.

> Checking for sure:
>    $cd /opt/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20090626/
>    $file mcrypt.so
>    mcrypt.so: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
>    mcrypt.so (for architecture x86_64):	Mach-O 64-bit bundle x86_64
>    mcrypt.so (for architecture i386):	Mach-O bundle i386
>
> And now I am confused, because is that really a UB?  I thought a UB had to be 4 way?

We chose the description "Build for multiple architectures" for the +universal variant in MacPorts because which architectures we build for varies by default by OS version, and is changeable by the user. On Leopard and earlier, we default to ppc i386. On Snow Leopard and later, we default to x86_64 i386. The user can change this by changing universal_archs in macports.conf, after which any ports that were already built universal should probably be manually rebuilt by the user.