php mcrypt uiversal

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jan 16 15:20:05 PST 2010

On Jan 16, 2010, at 17:12, Scott Haneda wrote:

> Ok, but all I wanted to do, as an end used, was update php5-mcrypt to UB, and could not.  The logical way to do that would be to `port install/update php5-mcrypt +universal`.

The correct command to do so is

sudo port upgrade --enforce-variants php5-mcrypt +universal

> I had mhash installed as 'mhash @0.9.9.9_0', why was that error generated, it existed, and it was of more than adequate version.

It was not universal.

> So I am still confused.  If for whatever reason I want to build php5-mcyrpt, I should be able to, without running into error or trouble.  I could not.

If you want to build a port universal, and none of its dependencies are installed yet, they will be installed universal.

If you want to build a port universal, and some of its dependencies are already installed, you must manually ensure they are already universal, or rebuild them universal. MacPorts does not check for you. The archcheck portgroup is a reaction to this deficiency, but a better fix would be something implemented in base directly.

> Would it not be better to list mhash as a dependency for php5-mcrypt?  Seems that would have solved this.  I actually am not entirely sure why I got that error, I should not have, unless it just did not see it entirely, since it was not built as +univeral, so it was as good as not there.
>
> If that is the case, then I can not see why it would be a bad idea to add mhash as a dependency to php5-mcrypt.

Changing where the dependency is listed makes no difference. If you already had mhash installed non-universal, MacPorts will not try to rebuild it universal, unless you tell it to.