failure of wxWidgets to build (as dependency for py26-wxpython)

Jim Busser jbusser at interchange.ubc.ca
Mon Jan 18 16:46:38 PST 2010

Hi all

My attempt to install py26-wxpython under 10.6.2 Snow Leopard on a MacBook Core 2 Duo seems to fail at wxWidgets. Selected DEBUG output appended.

Mine could be a wrong analysis (I'm pretty new to this) but potential solutions seem divided across divergent tickets and I wondered therefore if this list is a reasonable place to seek guidance, and maybe even how to reconcile them.

I *think* the most closely-related ticket is http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20952. I wondered if the wxWidgets 2.8.9_1 problem is resolvable by one of two methods:

1) instead, using wxWidgets-devel 2.9.0_1 – but then… how do I get *py26-wxpython* to recognize wxWidgets-devel?

	do I use a ~ custom portfile for py26-wxpython as at
		http://trac.macports.org/ticket/21530

	and, despite that this port is itself named
		py26-wxpython-devel
	? will it intercept calls meant for py26-wxpython

	? or must something further be done

2) *or* is it better to download the patch wx-64-x11.diff under first-mentioned ticket 20952, and do I then modify a personal (local) copy of the portfile wxWidgets to include this patch?

Lastly, if (b) gets us closer to a coherent MacPorts, but if it's a patch that remains to-be-applied into

	http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/graphics/wxWidgets/Portfile

is it a problem where the maintainers of the wxWidgets (while busy with other things) have the administrative control over incorporating the patch and/or merging the 2.8.9_1 up into the newer solutions? I am not asking to be a maintainer since I lack the competence, I am only wondering whether the best next step is to see if the maintainers are (a) aware and in agreement of what could fix it and (b) if they are open to closing it with any help, and -- if so -- what would help them (given some people within tickets have been seeming to want or try to help)

*************************************
*************************************
$ port -d install py26-wxpython

(selected output)

Building wxWidgets
DEBUG: Executing org.macports.build (wxWidgets)
DEBUG: port disallows a parallel build
DEBUG: Environment: MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET='10.6'
DEBUG: Assembled command: 'cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_graphics_wxWidgets/work/wxWidgets-2.8.9/build" && /usr/bin/make'
ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib/libz.dylib, file is not of required architecture
ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib/libexpat.dylib, file is not of required architecture
ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib/libSDLmain.a, file is not of required architecture
ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib/libSDL.dylib, file is not of required architecture
Undefined symbols:
      _png_decompress_chunk in libwxpng-2.8.a(wxpng_pngrutil.o)
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_graphics_wxWidgets/work/wxWidgets-2.8.9/build/lib/libwx_macu-2.8.0.5.0.dylib] Error 1
Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_graphics_wxWidgets/work/wxWidgets-2.8.9/build" && /usr/bin/make " returned error 2
DEBUG: Backtrace: shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_graphics_wxWidgets/work/wxWidgets-2.8.9/build" && /usr/bin/make " returned error 2
    while executing
"command_exec build"
    (procedure "portbuild::build_main" line 9)
    invoked from within
"$procedure $targetname"
Warning: the following items did not execute (for wxWidgets): org.macports.activate org.macports.build org.macports.destroot org.macports.install
Error: The following dependencies failed to build: wxWidgets

-- Jim