Temporary disable MacPorts?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jan 19 12:33:15 PST 2010

On Jan 19, 2010, at 14:23, Stacey wrote:

> I need to temporary disable MacPorts but I don't know how to. I've tried searching but couldn't find anything. I'm trying to compile something in Fink but it seems like they are conflicting with each other. Also I need to know how to re-enable it after it's done :)

You can move MacPorts' directory aside. For example, if you're using the usual MacPorts /opt/local prefix, you could:

sudo mv /opt/local /opt/local-off

Do your thing in Fink, then later, bring MacPorts back:

sudo mv /opt/local-off /opt/local

Note that you should really do this anytime you want to use Fink. Similarly, anytime you use MacPorts, you should be moving Fink's /sw aside.

It is not supported (by MacPorts, anyway; not sure about Fink's policies) to have MacPorts and Fink installed at the same time, since they conflict, as you've noticed. It would probably be easier in the long run to pick either MacPorts or Fink, and remove the other.