Error trying to upgrade Perl 5.10

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jan 20 12:36:49 PST 2010

On Jan 20, 2010, at 12:41, Clint Olsen wrote:

> poly:~ clint$ sudo port -u upgrade outdated
> --->  Deactivating perl5.10 @5.10.1_0+darwin
> --->  Computing dependencies for perl5.10Error: Couldn't activate perl5.10 5.10.1_1: Can't install perl5.10 because conflicting ports are installed: perl5.8
> Before reporting a bug, first run the command again with the -d flag to get complete output.
>
> So, I've got 5.8.8 installed because at first I didn't realize there was a 5.10 port available.  I'm not sure how to eradicate 5.8.X from my ports collection because now I have dependencies on this Perl.  Is there a relatively easy way to uninstall 5.8 and make everything dependent on 5.10.X?

perl5.10 was recently made to conflict with perl5.8 for some reason. I'm not sure if perl5.10 will at this time function suitably in perl5.8's place. We are still based on perl5.8 at this point.

You can try "sudo port deactivate perl5.8" and "sudo port activate perl5.10" and see what happens down the road. Or you can "sudo port uninstall perl5.10" and stick with perl5.8 until the perl maintainers switch us over to 5.10.