Django

Jasper Frumau jasperfrumau at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 10:29:24 PST 2010

I found:

*On Unix-like systems, create a symbolic link to the file
django-trunk/django/bin/django-admin.py in a directory on your system path,
such as /usr/local/bin. For example:

ln -s `pwd`/django-trunk/django/bin/django-admin.py /usr/local/bin

This simply lets you type django-admin.py from within any directory, rather
than having to qualify the command with the full path to the file.*

@ http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/install/#topics-install

So I guess I might have to create a symbolic links so I can run the command
for Django admin from anywhere, correct?

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 9:22 PM, Jasper Frumau <jasperfrumau at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 8:50 PM, Daniel J. Luke <dluke at geeklair.net>
wrote:

>> On Jan 22, 2010, at 12:42 PM, Jasper Frumau wrote:
>> > On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 6:51 PM, Daniel J. Luke <dluke at geeklair.net>
wrote:

>> > so django-admin.py isn't in your $PATH maybe?
>> >
>> > try running port contents py-django and see where port installed it
(and then adjust your $PATH or use the full path to django-admin.py)

suggest. See http://pastebin.com/m415fe1bct with all data.

>> you mean http://pastebin.com/m415fe1bc
>>
> Yes, :-), sorry about that.
>

>> It shows django-admin.py got installed here:
>> /opt/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/bin/django-admin.py
>
> OK.
>

>> This is not a directory that would normally be in your $PATH, so unless
you set things up specifically for this, you won't be able to run
django-admin.py without using the full path

> This is how Mac Ports installed it. Should I simply move django-admin.py
to a proper locations together with the other django .pys? If so where?  Or
can I fix the path elsewhere. Like in a Django config file?

>> > It is a long list with data. How can I check if the PATH is off?
>>
>> You can use printenv to see all of the environment variables that are set
in your shell, I would recommend you run through one of the many online unix
shell tutorials if you're not familiar with this sort of thing.

> Quite familiar with Shell, but never really worked a lot with paths
before:
> Jaspers-MacBook-Pro:~ jasper$ printenv
> TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal
> TERM=xterm-color
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> TMPDIR=/var/folders/E6/E6iKsafiF9Wnbja513eS0E+++TI/-Tmp-/
> Apple_PubSub_Socket_Render=/tmp/launch-naWaeA/Render
> TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=272
> USER=jasper
> COMMAND_MODE=unix2003
> SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/launch-HzEvtU/Listeners
> __CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:0

PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin