Django

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sat Jan 23 04:02:21 PST 2010

On Jan 23, 2010, at 3:55 AM, Jasper Frumau wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Scott Haneda <talklists at newgeo.com> wrote:
>
>> Can you supply the following:
>> $head -n1 /opt/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/bin/django-admin.py
>
> $ head -n1 /opt/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/bin/django-admin.py
> #!/usr/bin/env python
>

>> This will read the first line of the file django-admin.py
>>
>> If it returns:
>> #!/usr/bin/env python
>>
>> That means the interpreter could be looking in the wrong location,
>
> So it is looking in the wrong location

I am not so sure, like I said, I am not familiar at all with passing an argument to `env`, this could be ideal behavior for all I know.  My hopes are someone chimes in and fills the gaps in this question.

>> the default location set by whoever wrote the code, making the assumption
>> that Django is installed in a standard location like most other OS's.  This
>> is a logical assumption, for example, all perl files on Mac OS X will start
>> with:
>>
>> #!/usr/bin/perl
>>
>> When a set of files is installed by MacPorts, one step in that installation
>> is to 'reinplace' [1] the #!/usr/bin/perl with a new path pointing to the
>> MacPorts perl location.
>>
>> [1] Reinplace is a MacPorts convention that does string find and replacing.
>
> So maybe the maintainer of this port should adjust  #!/usr/bin/env python

I suspect not, I would imagine is it correct, it was just a line of thought I wanted to explore.  Had the path been /usr/bin/python then I would say yes, but that is not the case.  Though it could be that it needs to be:

#!/usr/bin/env /opt/local/path/to/python

> $ port info py-django
> py-django @1.1.1 (python, www)
> Variants:             bash_completion

> encourages rapid development and clean, pragmatic design.
> Homepage:             http://www.djangoproject.com
>
> Library Dependencies: python24, py-setuptools
> Platforms:            darwin
> License:              unknown
> Maintainers:          arthurk at macports.org
>
> Should I email Artur K as well?

I would not trouble him with anything until proper investigation into this has happened.  When there is a chance to be wrong, I generally am :)