wxWidgets fails building pgAdmin3

Jyrki Wahlstedt jwa at macports.org
Fri Jan 29 11:09:26 PST 2010

On 29.1.2010, at 9.43, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2010, at 20:51, Peter B. West wrote:
>
>> With the changes you mention, port still tries to build wxWidgets. I tried changing the wx-config:wxWidgets tp wx-config:wxWidgets-devel, but that failed with a different set of errors. There is a wx-config in /opt/local/lib/wx-devel/bin/wx-config, and a /usr/bin/wx-config. Is there some confusion between these?
>
> Hmm, sorry, I don't have wxWidgets-devel installed, but I do have wxWidgets installed, and I assumed wxWidgets-devel would install files in the exact same places as wxWidgets, since that is how -devel ports are supposed to function. Apparently wxWidgets-devel breaks with our conventions. In that case, just change the dependency to port:wxWidgets-devel. That's not a change I expect us to be incorporating officially, however.
>
> Also, the existence of /usr/bin/wx-config is surprising, since /usr/bin is a directory into which I would expect only Apple to install, and Apple does not provide any builds of wxWidgets. How did this script get there? Did you install some other wxWidgets binary package before perhaps? If so, that might be interfering, and you should uninstall it.

Hi,
sorry being this late with my own comments, but:
1) pgAdmin3 port next version (1.10.1) is still in the works
2) this is due to the fact that wxWidgets it needs must be built 32-bit, being Carbon-based
3) wxWidgets-devel (2.9.0) can not be used, I've checked upstream, and doing it is still not high in their priorities (also 2.9.0 is not complete, and it is not a stable release)
4) postgresql84 didn't build reliably with universal needed with 32-bit build (now somebody had committed changes implying this would be possible, but if the patches are equal to those attached to the ticket referred, they caused a lot of size-related warnings, which doesn't make me happy. I have to check the port, but I managed to corrupt my port tree, so that takes a while)

!
! Jyrki Wahlstedt
!	http://www.wahlstedt.fi/jyrki/
!
! Our life is no dream; but it ought to become one and perhaps will.
! PGP key ID: 0x139CC386 fingerprint: F355 B46F 026C B8C1 89C0  A780 6366 EFD9 139C C386