Getting gcc4.4 to work with XCode

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jan 31 00:04:39 PST 2010

On Jan 30, 2010, at 17:06, William B. Clodius wrote:

> I downloaded and installed macport gcc44 primarily so I could use more recent versions of gfortran than are supported by Apple's gcc 4.2 distributed with XCode.

I didn't think any version of Xcode supplied any version of any Fortran compiler.

> I can use make if necessary, but would prefer to use XCode. It appears that macport installed its version of gcc in /opt/local while XCode's version is installed in /usr/local.

Xcode goes in /usr. /usr/local is reserved for local installations by the system administrator, and Apple to my knowledge therefore does not supply anything that goes in /usr/local; it would be contrary to the purpose of /usr/local for them to do so. If you have a gfortran in /usr/local, I doubt it came from Apple.

> In searching the internet, I find descriptions of how to get gfortran to work with XCode, but they seem to assume that gcc (whether XCode's or macport's) is installed in XCode's default directory tree. I can't seem to get XCode to accept the gfortan libraries libgfortran and libgfortranbegin. My suspicion is that I first have to set XCode to accept gcc44, but of course searching the net for gcc44, XCode, and macports yields a large number of links. Can you point me to a starting link on the topic?

I'm afraid I don't know how to do this.