gross error

John B Brown jbb at vcn.com
Fri Jul 2 13:01:37 PDT 2010

On 7/2/10 12:13 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Jul 2, 2010, at 11:18, John B Brown wrote:
>
>> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize MacPorts, error reading "file6": illegal operation on a directory
>>
>> 	Recently I've had to reinstall from the install disc. All personal data survived, but this is wrong. What fixes this result?
>
> Did you already try reinstalling MacPorts, e.g. by downloading the 1.9.1 disk image and running the installer package thereon?

	I just did that. The same result;

jbb at pinball3:~
(1): % sudo port -R upgrade --force rpm
error reading "file6": illegal operation on a directory
     while executing
"read $fd"
     (procedure "_mports_load_quickindex" line 27)
     invoked from within
"_mports_load_quickindex"
     (procedure "mportinit" line 522)
     invoked from within
"mportinit ui_options global_options global_variations"
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize MacPorts, error reading
"file6": illegal operation on a directory
jbb at pinball3:~
(2): % sudo port -f list installed
error reading "file6": illegal operation on a directory
     while executing
"read $fd"
     (procedure "_mports_load_quickindex" line 27)
     invoked from within
"_mports_load_quickindex"
     (procedure "mportinit" line 522)
     invoked from within
"mportinit ui_options global_options global_variations"
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize MacPorts, error reading
"file6": illegal operation on a directory
jbb at pinball3:~
(3): %

	Shalom,

	John B. Brown.
	[jbb at vcn.com]
	358 High Street,
	Buffalo, Wyoming
	82834

"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include
the freedom to make mistakes"  Mahatma Gandhi
"If any question why we died, tell them,
because our fathers lied."  Rudyard Kipling
"A man who does not know the truth is just an idiot
but a man who knows the truth and calls it a lie
is a crook."  Bertolt Brecht
"I wonder whether the world is being run
by smart people who are putting us on
or by imbeciles who really mean it."  Mark Twain

1-307-684-9068