gross error

John B Brown jbb at vcn.com
Thu Jul 8 09:39:00 PDT 2010

On 7/7/10 4:18 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Jul 2, 2010, at 19:12, John B Brown wrote:
>
>> 	So, after reinstalling the install disc OS, and X11, Xcode and other apps from the install disc, I installed MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.2.dmg
>
> Why not 10.6.4?

	Because I use Firefox and Thunderbird and the latest problems I had led
me to think it was 10.6.4 that stopped the Adobe Flash plug-in from
showing any graphics. Lots of audio, no graphics. I have further
experimented and now use 10.6.4 with Firefox-3.5.2 and an old flash
install pkg to get video on my browser. Apparently some 'improvement'
from Adobe combined with some 'improvement' from mozilla lost me my
browser video; I think all these late iMacs use the same NVIDIA chip.
The new 'improvement' from Adobe even stops graphics on Firefox-3.5.2.
Why does that happen? Hmm? Is this another round of OS wars or...?

	Nothing is ever that simple.

>> and 'Xcode 3.2.2' and 'Xcode 3.2.2 and iPhoneSDK 3.2.2'
>
> You really only need one or the other, depending on whether you want to do iPhone development or not.

	Xcode-3.2.2 came in automatically on the software update. I had
searched out the combination update on Apple.com.

>> using disc images downloaded from Apple.com.
>>
>> 	Then I tried to uninstall MacPorts following the http://guide.macports.org/ 2.5. Uninstall directions. UGH!
>>
>> jbb at pinball3:~
>> (16): % sudo port -f uninstall installed
>> error reading "file6": illegal operation on a directory
>

>> 	Might I now wipe that /opt/local tree? Should I have wiped the /opt/X11 tree before doing any of this? They were both installed when Mac OS X 10.6.4 was running. Am I truly screwed?
>
> What is /opt/X11? Is that Xquartz? I know it's not part of Mac OS X or MacPorts.

	My statement does not imply XQuartz is MacPorts. It asks if XQuartz
will affect MacPorts by implication.

> The Guide says "If you need to uninstall MacPorts, **and your port command is functioning**, first uninstall all the installed ports" (emphasis mine). Since your port command is not functioning, you can proceed to the subsequent steps ("save your configuration files (most are in ${prefix}/etc), databases, or any other unique data by moving it aside" and "To remove all remaining traces of MacPorts, run the following command").

	My port command was not functioning. I wiped /opt except the
/opt/schily tree. My /opt tree now looks like this;

jbb at pinball3:~
(3): % ls /opt
./	../	schily/

	I'll stop getting entangled with functional anomalies in MacPorts. Any
UNIX/Linux utilities I want I'll modify for myself to work on my iMac.
There's a /usr/local here for a purpose; that's where the gnu utilities
go automatically.

	Shalom,

	John B. Brown.
	[jbb at vcn.com]
	358 High Street,
	Buffalo, Wyoming
	82834

"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include
the freedom to make mistakes"  Mahatma Gandhi
"If any question why we died, tell them,
because our fathers lied."  Rudyard Kipling
"A man who does not know the truth is just an idiot
but a man who knows the truth and calls it a lie
is a crook."  Bertolt Brecht
"I wonder whether the world is being run
by smart people who are putting us on
or by imbeciles who really mean it."  Mark Twain

1-307-684-9068