sqlite error: disk I/O error

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Thu Jul 8 22:53:31 PDT 2010

On Jul 8, 2010, at 9:32 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Prior experience had led me to have that impression of I/O errors as well. But in this case I don't think the error message was right. There were no disk errors in system.log, the disk verifies fine in Disk Utility, no S.M.A.R.T. errors shown.

Going a bit off topic here, but S.M.A.R.T. is not all that smart, and there could be data that is secretly failing and becoming corrupt, yet passing all tests.

Reading things like this are a real eye opener:
    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/data-corruption-is-worse-than-you-know/191

There was a better one put out by Sun in regards to ZFS and how their rollback abilities helped to get around this.  HFS+ is prone to disk issues.  If they are severe, they will show up in system.log or fsck_hfs.log

I was talking with the guys who make SoftRaid, which has a new drive certification feature, which will hopefully be endorsed by Apple at some point in the future.  What is cool about it, is it can tell you SMART is going to fail around 30 days before it will actually fail.
--
Scott (* For off-list contact, replace talklists@ with scott@ *)