mayavi conundrum

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at vcn.com
Fri Jul 9 07:19:34 PDT 2010

On 7/9/10 08:00 , macports-users-request at lists.macosforge.org wrote:
> Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 19:02:53 -0500
 > From: Victor Eijkhout
> <eijkhout at tacc.utexas.edu>
 > To: Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
>  Cc: "macports-users at lists.macosforge.org"
> <macports-users at lists.macosforge.org>
 > Subject: Re: mayavi conundrum
 > On 2010/07/08, at 4:10
> PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>> It looks like py26-mayavi requires vtk5 be installed with the
>>> carbon variant, and that you cannot install vtk5 with the carbon
>>> variant if you are also requesting the x11 variant.
> That's what the message says.
>
>>> So don't request the x11 variant.
> I didn't. It got installed as part of the mayavi install.
>
> Victor.

The backend (x11 or carbon) of vtk5 must match that of mayavi.  It used
to be only carbon was supported, but that is not the case now.  In fact,
it is difficult to use carbon on Snow Leopard.  Please see:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/21994

There is a patch there to remove the error checking in the py26-mayavi
port for carbon.  You will also need to have wxwidgets-python and
py26-wxpython installed with the gtk variant.

Regarding your immediate error, Ryan is partly right:  install vtk5 with
only +x11 (not +carbon also), and make sure to include +python.

HTH,
Jonathan