gross error

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jul 9 11:57:40 PDT 2010

On Jul 9, 2010, at 13:43, Michael_google gmail_Gersten wrote:

>> As far as I know, every non retail installer disc that Apple ships has Apple Hardware Test on it.  A small hidden partition, or perhaps it is a hook into the firmware, I'm not sure.
>>    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509
>
> Dang, that's nice to know.
>
> A little looking around shows that there's supposed to be a hardware
> test for iBooks:

> I have an iBook G4 (14 inch), that I got used, that did not come with
> a hardware test CD.
> Is there anyone that can send me a copy (ISO or physical) of said beast?
>
> (I actually went to Apple's web site for tech support. When I entered
> my serial number, and hit "continue", I never got anything back. I
> suppose that old enough means "we don't support it at all".)

Well, Apple's support consists at least of the following:

Hardware repairs are covered under the 1-year limited warranty.

Apple provides 90 days of free phone tech support from the date of purchase, and you can pay for per-incident phone support thereafter.

You can purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan which gives you a total of 3 years of hardware coverage from date of computer purchase and 3 years of phone support from date of computer purchase.

On an iBook, sure, these are almost certainly expired.

The AppleCare Protection Plan also includes a copy of TechTool Deluxe, which is another kind of hardware test. Or you can buy TechTool Pro separately.

Apple has free resources on their support web site you can access anytime. I don't know why entering your serial number into the web site did not produce any result for you. Perhaps a bug or momentary glitch.

You can make an appointment at a Genius Bar at an Apple Store and take your computer in.

Apple is obligated by California law to provide replacement parts for all products for seven years from the last date of manufacture.

You may be able to obtain the hardware test CD from Apple for some amount of money.