ImageMagick/OpenSSL failure to upgrade/install

Jeff Harmon jharmon at colorhythm.com
Sat Jul 10 16:28:52 PDT 2010

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 18:20:57 -0500, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
wrote:
> That means you're using MacPorts 1.8.x or earlier. You need to upgrade
> MacPorts 1.9.1. Run:
>
> sudo /opt/local/bin/port selfupdate
>
> Or whatever the equivalent of that is in Porticus, if you prefer.

it turns out that selfupdate from the latest Porticus DOES NOT WORK.  i do
have it set to selfupdate upon launch - before that pref changes, it seemed
to selfupdate fine.  I'll report this to them.

your suggestions successfully permitted me to upgrade openssl. i assume it
will also permit me to install imagemagick.  THANKS VERY MUCH!

>> i then went to terminal, and tried sudo port clean openssl
>>
>> and got
>>
>> sudo: port: command not found
>
> That means you haven't set up your shell to know where the port command
> is. If you'd like to use MacPorts from the shell, either type the full
path
> to port (/opt/local/bin/port) every time you want to use it, or edit the
> file .profile or .bash_profile in your home directory and set up your
PATH
> variable following these instructions:
>
> http://guide.macports.org/#installing.shell
>
> MacPorts should have set this up for you at installation time; not sure
> what went wrong.

will do.  thanks so much ryan.  i really appreciate your time and energy
and how much you're doing to keep the mac community in the game!  i'm very
thankful to you.

- J