please help

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jul 17 21:17:27 PDT 2010

On Jul 17, 2010, at 23:00, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Once MacPorts is installed, which it sounds like you've done, you can install a port like autopano-sift-c by simply typing:
>
> sudo port install autopano-sift-c

I should point out that in most cases MacPorts is not installing pre-built software; it is actually building the software on your machine. For some ports, this can take more time than you may be used to, especially if your computer is older or not very fast. Many ports will install in seconds or a few minutes, but I see, for example, that autopano-sift-c depends on cmake, and that hugin-app depends on boost; these are large programs that may require 30 or 60 minutes or more to build, depending on your computer. Normally you won't get any feedback about what's going on either; the last line displayed in the Terminal will be something like "--->  Building cmake", and you may get the impression after awhile that MacPorts has crashed or frozen, but this is almost always not the case. You can use Activity Monitor (in /Applications/Utilities) to see whether your computer is busy; usually you will see at least one CPU meter doing something, indicating things are proceeding along. Just wait awhile and let it finish; on modern Macs, most ports will install within a couple hours, most in much less time, but a port like hugin-app which I believe ends up having a total of 73 dependencies that need to be installed may still take awhile.